Monday, October 29, 2007

Uganda: Into the City

Friday, August 10, 2007

We rode down the dusty hill in Mbalala for the last time and headed back to Kampala. I then said good bye to the team. I wasn’t really sure where I was going or what all would happen in the week to come, but I knew that it wasn’t the first time I’d ventured alone somewhere in the world…

One of the Habitat leaders had arranged a paid homestay for me with his friend, Helen. I dropped my bags at her workplace and went off to an informational meeting at KACITA, a microfinance institution (MFI) for small business owners. Alex, my friend that I had met between London and Entebbe, helped set up meetings with local MFIs, which was my purpose for staying an extra week. KACITA is a newer MFI; it was interesting speaking with one of the loan officers regarding precautions taken and training offered to people taking out loans. I have so much to learn. And I’m excited about it! Who knows where I’ll be in five years? Or even 1?!

No comments: