Monday, October 29, 2007

Uganda: Widows Without Land

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Today was a more melancholy day for me personally, but I’m feeling better. I just needed some time to think. It was interesting because Michael and Muhammed, our Ugandan Habitat volunteer and coordinator, noticed and asked if I was alright. I said that I needed some time, but I’d be fine. I was not only processing my own feelings and reactions to my surroundings, but I was also internalizing other team members’ emotions. It was a lot to take in.

(The frogs outside right now are so loud! They sound like sick ducks.)

We had dinner with the leaders of International Justice Mission (IJM). They help widows suffering from their husbands’ families land-grabbing their property. After the husband dies, the family sometimes takes all property, belongings, and sometimes her children from her. IJM assists the widows in taking legal action against their husbands’ families and is also providing empowerment training in business consulting and finance management, essential skills for a woman providing for herself and for her family. Without IJM, some of these women could never access the court system – even because some lack the bus money to get to the office in the first place.

I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a great day. Really. Truly. Blessed. I need to write so much more…

I would love pancakes tomorrow. Not going to happen.

No comments: