Monday, October 29, 2007

Uganda: Unexpected Recognition. House Complete.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The house dedication saved me from having my first truly horrible day. I felt poorly in the morning – mostly emotionally, but also somewhat physically. I was just really feeling sad about leaving the village. The kids made me so happy and I loved doing something with my hands. I knew that we’d come back tonight and pack all our things. Then say goodbye tomorrow. But first, there was the dedication ceremony. And it was wonderful.



We headed to the site in our canvas-covered truck. The choir from the orphanage was drumming and singing. All the kids who run around our worksite were there. The neighbors who cooked cassava chips and tea every day at 11am. All of the other neighbors. TJ, the Peace Corps volunteer who had spent time with us. The community leader. Other religious leaders. And all of us.


We each received recognition. I was not expecting that. Michael gave a touching speech about the importance of our work – about the hope it brings to the family and to the community. I did not expect to go and make any big difference, but we were told otherwise… by the community leader, by Frank the homeowner, and by Michael. They say what we’re doing is generous. I suppose it is, but it doesn’t really seem like it. That’s what we were supposed to do. “Go,” said God. So we went.

No comments: