Monday, October 29, 2007

Uganda: “That’s muzungu price!”

Sunday, August 5, 2007

I have mosquito bites. Hopefully my malaria pills work.

The weekend was relaxing, a nice change of pace. I fell into old habits – falling asleep in my clothes with the light on and waking back up at 3am to get ready for bed. We could also sleep in a little later instead of waking up at 6am to get to the building site. After some time at an American-style mall for internet and buying souvenirs at the National Theatre, we trekked through a produce market. A couple guys were trying to sell me fresh vanilla for $15. We were already joking around so I laughed and said, “That’s muzungu price!” They, too, laughed that I said $15 was “white man” price. I was considering the packet at $4, but a friend reminded me that Customs wouldn’t take favorably to the packet, regardless of the price.


So how am I doing? Really well. I’m interested to see how this next week goes. The first week was full of a lot of mixed feelings – as I’m sure the last will be also. It’s the middle that’s always interesting.

No comments: