Monday, October 29, 2007

Uganda: A Gift that Humbles

Monday, August 13, 2007

Many people here ask for assistance. Michael mentioned before that Africa expects others to give – especially muzungus. And there have definitely been times when my soul has felt worn out by all the requests. And so many of them are valid!! Some granting of requests provides for implementation of sustainable solutions while others do not. And it’s impossible to grant them all. Our team did give to the prison ministry and to Habitat and to the school and to the orphanage. I had very mixed feelings about the orphanage giving each of us a gift in return, but Michael was impressed that they gave back. And because there’s nothing else to do but accept and keep the hand-made purse I was given, I will hold tight to its accompanying blessing – that when my heart was tired from giving, people with less than me reached out to refresh my soul. One of my original prayer requests was that I remain humble in not only giving, but receiving. It’s hard to think of a more humbling situation than an orphan in Uganda giving me a gift.

Later in Kampala, I saw a sight that definitely stayed with me. As I mentioned, the poverty I had seen was not mind-blowing or shocking, but this! A mother and child on the sidewalk. The child must have been about 2 years old and its body more than halfway covered by burn scars. I walked past. If I could go back and change anything, it would be to speak with the mother, pray, and give her what she asked. What happened? What happened to me?

No comments: